ACTIVITY Forums Lures What makes a chatterbait a good chatterbait?

• What makes a chatterbait a good chatterbait?

Jeff McBroom updated 3 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 5 Posts
  • Ron

March 21, 2017 at 4:13 am

So quick question, what makes one chatterbait good and another not so good? Okay I agree the hardware, hook, snap, blade, skirt. But beyond those things what about the design makes it good? There are so many variations out there different blade designs, head designs, ways to attach the blade to the head. Do I want the rounded edged blades or the squared off ones, do I want wholes in my blade? Do I want my blade to hit my head or do I want my blade out in front of my head not making contact. I have caught fish on a bunch of different brands, wanted to see some other opinions on what makes these baits the best ones in the class!

• Don

Administrator
    March 21, 2017 at 5:53 am

I have never dove that deep into all those component factors and been able to tie them to results. For me, the only correlations I’ve had is with weight. In other words, it needs to be heavy enough that it won’t ride up too high in the water column for the conditions. Kinda like a crankbait that gets down to the right depth. I’ve had my best luck on a D&M Piranha in 3/4 oz. I can’t tell you what it is about that one other than it is the heaviest one I use. They don’t make that version I use anymore and I can’t say as that matters. I haven’t tried the new version. The other is a Phenix Vibrator that was my first “chatterbait” I had success on. Those tend to be the typical 3/8 oz baits that I use in water less than 3′ and the heavier 3/4 oz. I use in water deeper than 3′.

• Ron

March 21, 2017 at 6:30 am

Is your piranha the magnum bladed version or the regular bladed version? This too makes a big difference as far as lift and the type of vibration you get. I have some original phenix vibrating jigs and they have a tighter vibrations than others I have used, have you tried the newer versions which connect the blade via split rings?

• Don

Administrator
    March 21, 2017 at 8:49 pm

I haven’t tried newer versions that use split rings. I’m not sure which blade I have on the piranha other than it is the original version. Used it at Clear Lake a few years ago and still using it.

• Jeff McBroom

March 25, 2017 at 6:44 pm

How often do you guys Frankenstein these lures?
    Example-Strike Kings pure poison has good colors and a pretty decent hook. The vibration the blade that comes with it is great for more open water (and I’ve caught some big fish with it) but is pretty crappy in the weeds. I haven’t done it yet but was thinking about putting another type blade on it that would perform better around vegetation.
    Thoughts?

Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 posts

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now