ACTIVITY Forums Rods, Reels, Line T-Rig / Jig Rod Recommendations?

• T-Rig / Jig Rod Recommendations?

• Ryancompetition@aol.com

May 7, 2017 at 4:14 pm

What is everyone recommending for a rod throwing 1/4-3/4 jigs or weedless t-rig’s?

Ive been using an 894c & 854c and am looking into Boomer’s Hitter rod but was curious if anyone had any other preferences? Recently picked up an Irod Genesis 2 Fred’s magic stick for frogs but since the swig jig version works very well thought Id try it out for this application as well.

Primary fishery would be Potholes so typical brush, laydowns, etc…

Any thoughts or input appreciated.

-Todd

• Chad

May 8, 2017 at 6:24 pm

I’ve gone through multiple rods looking for the perfect one for the applications you described. I had an 894 at one point but it was too fast action for me and didn’t have enough tip. I thought I had found it in the Dobyns 784 Mike Long Jig rod and really like that one. But I got one of Jakes new hitters this spring and now it is definitely my go to jig rod.

• Ron

May 9, 2017 at 4:55 am

Ryan answers will vary, will you be casting, flipping or pitching, will you be using braid, flourocarbon or mono? I use an Loomis FPR894 for flipping and pitching 1/2 oz jigs and 3/4 oz t rigs on flourocarbon. I use an JWR 894 for casting 5/16 to 1/2 Texas rigs and 1/4 to 3/4 oz jigs on flourocarbon.

I bet Chad likes to use braid hence why he likes a more moderate action rod.

May 9, 2017 at 4:04 pm

Appreciate the info.

The 864 I’ve been pairing with trilene 100% 17# for throwing beaver type baits, etc… for pitching and skipping in and around brush. I have tried using braid/fluoro leader for this and always found I was hung up when the braid would cut into wood or get blown around/tangled on windier days. Also, the shorter length makes it a little more difficult in reaching/retrieving from out of reach areas so was looking for something with a little more length hence why I was trying out the 894.

Ron, what weight of fluoro are you using with the 894?

Chad, on the “Hitter” are you throwing braid or fluoro?

• Chad

May 23, 2017 at 5:10 pm

Sorry for the delay in responding. I tend to like a more moderate action on my rods than the norm it seems regardless if I am using braid or fluorocarbon. With the hitter I am currently running 20 lb fluoro but the rod would certainly handle braid very well also.

May 23, 2017 at 5:45 pm

Thanks Chad. This past couple weeks I tried the Hitter on 60#braid/20#fluoro and really liked the rod but seemed to hang up the knot when reeling up to skip. Wound up putting straight 20# fluoro on it with good success and using the braid/fluoro combo on my 864 jwr since it has larger guides.
    Got a good deal on a 894 fpr so will be rigging that up per what Ron spoke about. Again, just curious what others are having success with.

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 posts

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now