ACTIVITY Forums Boats/ Boating Equipment Swim jig rod

• Swim jig rod

• Tim Tadlock

March 19, 2017 at 5:21 pm

Let’s talk swim jig rods as I’m in the market for one this spring. What’s you favorite and what are you looking for when your looking for one.

• Jeff McBroom

March 19, 2017 at 7:59 pm

Dobbyn’s Champion series 735 glass.
    (DC 735CB GLASS / 7’3″ / $239.99) 1pc. 10- 20 lb, ¼ to 1oz, Med/Hvy Fast Action Techniques: Chatterbaits / Crankbaits / Spinnerbaits
    Full handle–rod is super light but has good backbone to move a fish. Says fast action (and it is easy to cast) but has a nice bend (glass) when a fish gets on.

• Don

Administrator
    March 20, 2017 at 10:57 am

We are going to be doing some reviews of swim jig rods in the next couple of weeks that will be on the Front Page. Since that doesn’t help you right now. Here’s a summary of where Ryan and I are at right now:
    We’ve run through about a dozen different rods over the last 3-4 years and most have done a decent job. In general, I would recommend something in the 7’0 to 7’3″ range. Rated for 3/8 to 1 oz or so. So a “Med/Hvy” rod with a “Mod Fast” action. Since there is a real lack of standards in rod actions and how they are labeled – it really is a matter of testing. I’m a big believer in a more moderate action than most tend to use, especially with moving baits, but also because of improved castability and because I use braid w/leaders on most everything.
    The Diawa Tatulla XT Crankbait is a great choice, especially for the money ($99) and was probably the leader of the pack for us at the end of last year. There is about a half dozen different rods were are testing in the next month or so.

• Kevin

March 20, 2017 at 5:03 pm

I always thought the Alpha Angler rebound would make a good swim jig and bladed jig rod because of the Med/Heavy moderate action.

• Don

Administrator
    March 20, 2017 at 8:59 pm

It does! I caught my best LM last year on the rebound with a swim jig.

• Ron

March 20, 2017 at 9:20 pm

I use a few different rods ( I am crazy about rod selection). For finesse style swimjigs I have used everything, and the ultimate best I have found is a Megabass Orochi XX flat side Special it is a graphite rod so it’s super light, loads very very well, but has the right taper. Mega Bass calls it a Normal action. I use the rod a ton the handle (full grip!) is small because the blank doesn’t have the diameter of glass making it a more streamlined comfortable rod. I know personally I have made a believer out of Wolsky and a few other close friends. I also use the rod for spinnerbaits and chatterbaits.
    The other rod I like is an E6X MBR903 which is 7.5′ I use this rod with the big hooked swimjigs. I know the loonies line very well, they call this a fast action which I would have to agree but again the rod bends deep. The inherent properties of lower modulus graphite is that it’s not as stiff so the same model rod in a graphite like GLX would definetely be way snappier and stout.

These 2 rods are the ones I use the most I have a couple others for 1/4 oz versions of chatterbaits and swim jigs, and a glass model rod for super early in the year when I think sometimes it’s best to fall asleep on the bite.
    Like Don says it really takes you to use the rod in order to determine if it’s going to work over the years a lot of fish were lost in order to find the rod that works best for me.
    I do think though each person is going to have their own preference, your fishing style and fishing form probably would really dictate what rod will fit you the best.
    Your preference of line should come into play when choosing your rod as well. I prefer mono which I think gives me more room for error on rod selection.

• Tim Tadlock

March 22, 2017 at 8:05 am

It will be interesting to see your swim jig rod review. It seems like an S-Glass rod would be the ultimate in both action and a lighter weight.

• Tim Tadlock

April 10, 2017 at 7:52 am

Purchased the Diawa Tatulla XT Crankbait that Don recommended. Overall it is a great rod for the money and preformed really well. Handles 1/4-1/2 oz swim jigs really well. I am sure it will work great on chatterbaits as well. I lost four fish in a row with it until I mellowed out and found not to pull on them so hard with braid. Have only lost one since.
    I am really finding that you also need a high speed reel as almost all the fish swim toward you right after you set the hook. That high speed reel really allows you to keep up.

Viewing 1 - 8 of 8 posts

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now