ACTIVITY Forums Rods, Reels, Line Gear Ratios on Reels

• Gear Ratios on Reels

• Ron

March 21, 2017 at 4:27 am

So what’s everyone using these days? I heard a very very good angler say he doesn’t want a high speed reel for pitching jigs, the reason being is he said he didn’t want to sacrifice torque…… I giggled a little to myself and said in my head “doesn’t he know these things are built with twin turbos and a Flowmaster these days!”

Seriously the new gearing that is being used is crazy good, and torque in a reel is no longer a problem. High speed seemed to go from 6.3:1 to 9.3:1 overnight! So now that’s out of the way what does everyone prefer for a few techniques. The revolution isn’t just with the baitcasting market, the spinning reel market and gear ratio has also quickly snuck up there, I thin I saw a spinning reel in the 3000 size that took up 36″ of line in one turn of the handle!!!!! Crazy!
    So what’s up anyone have any thoughts?

• Jeff McBroom

March 23, 2017 at 6:00 pm

Other than deep water cranking rods I usel high speed reels (7.1.1 and up) on all my rods. Never have had any issues with torque/drag.
    1. Buzzbaits-makes throwing them all day much less tiresome. Much easier to slow my roll rather than have to reel fast to keep the lure on top.
    2. Flipping, senko, fishing jigs on bottom- one turn of the reel and youve picked up a ton of slack. Much faster to reel in for the next cast.
    3. Lipless, swim baits/swim jigs, and shallow cranks –again easy to slow my reel speed down (as necessary) and makes a day of throwing these lures much less tiresome.

Thats my 2cents

Viewing 1 - 2 of 2 posts

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now