ACTIVITY Forums Lures Flipping Jig vs Punching Rig in open water

• Flipping Jig vs Punching Rig in open water

Kevin updated 3 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 3 Posts
  • Ray Lehrman

March 28, 2017 at 7:15 pm

It’s probably out of laziness, of picking up the punching rig instead of taking the time to tie on a jig and pitching or flipping to open water or sparse cover targets. Seems it hasn’t made much of a difference in catch rates for me. I still use jigs, but I seem to throw which ever is already tied on. Just looking for some feedback on why I should (or should not) use a jig instead of a punching rig in sparse cover.

• Ron

March 29, 2017 at 9:27 am

I would rather use a jig every chance I get, Personally my hook up and hook up to land ration is much higher. Wolsky and I lost a tournament on Potholes due to lost fish on the punch rig in areas we could’ve been using a jig. That won’t happen again. One of the reasons the fish didn’t have a good hook up was that they ate it off the bottom, who knows which way the hook was pointed, if it was a jig the hook point is up more positive hook set. I have thought a lot about the punch rig verse the jig. The punch rig has 2 hinge points so the sinker skirt and bait can all be pointed in different directions or move. Think about this, the sinker and skirt can open a path for your hook to travel through and since it is rigid then the hook can move and swivel around maybe even turn in a fish mouth. It can’t do that with a jig. It’s different than a Texas rig. I don’t know just my philosophy. For me the punch rig is mainly used for stuff the jig can’t get into and out of.

• Kevin

March 29, 2017 at 2:39 pm

I have to agree with you Ron.

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 posts

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now