ACTIVITY Forums Tactics Bank's lake declassified, part 1 questions.

• Bank's lake declassified, part 1 questions.

Dusty updated 3 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 7 Posts
  • Jeff McBroom

March 27, 2017 at 9:30 pm

Don,
    When you say you are laying a trail on the front graph then following/fishing/exploring –are u just creating a path in Google Earth then converting it to a trail/route? If yes–great, if no I may be able to help because it is possible.
    Did you have better luck on points/irregularities/bends or did you also have luck on straight runs and backs of the cuts?? Or was it strickly a matter of weed edges?
    Did you find a certain depth that you had your best luck?

• Don

Administrator
    March 28, 2017 at 6:28 am

To the first question, yes. This is a major emphasis of our ongoing course on using modern technology to locate and catch fish.
    Points, irregularities and bends are almost always better. It’s mostly the intersection between the structure (ditch, channel) and the available cover.
    Depth varied year to year, according to the available vegetation cover, but usually in that 3-8′ range. I suspect this year’s remaining vegetation will be much different from last year as it varied quite a bit from year to year without a hard freeze. Also, lake levels have a big impact.

• Jeff McBroom

March 28, 2017 at 10:35 am

Thanks for the info. I won’t go into too much detail on the first point if you are already or are going to cover it in one of your courses.
    To let all of the readers know though–there is a way to plot a path on Google Earth, convert this to a trail to a file that your Lowrance can read, then once downloaded into your unit you can change it from a trail to a route. On Lowrance you can have all of your routes on a certain body of water visible (or a select few if you prefer). This is nice because if it was left as a trail and you fished over and over that spot it would become hard to discern the original trail–as a route you can travel over it a few times then just erase your trail to clean up the screen again (while not affecting the original route).
    I’ll let Don take it from there in his courses but if anyone has any questions let me know–be glad to help.

• Don

Administrator
    March 28, 2017 at 1:54 pm

Right on. I use those “tracks” (as Humminbird calls them) more and more each year. To the point where on some bodies of water at certain times of year, I use those way more than waypoints.

• Dusty

April 9, 2017 at 7:31 pm

Guys, I’m having a little trouble getting my Google Earth “paths” converted to be able to use in my Humminbird unit. Waypoints are transferring over just fine but the “paths” I create in Google Earth aren’t showing up on my unit.
    I’m on a Mac, so I can’t use Humminbird PC. The process that I’ve been doing with the waypoints is:
    1. create waypoints and paths in Google Earth.
    2. Save the body of water from “My Places” as a KML file
    3. Use GPS Babel to convert the KML file to a (Humminbird) readable .hwr file
    4. transfer the .hwr file to the “matrix” folder in my SD card
    5. Load the waypoints onto the unit from the SD card.

What am I missing? Any help would be appreciated if possible. Thanks.

• Don

Administrator
    April 10, 2017 at 8:20 am

Dusty,
    I’m not sure on this as I haven’t done it without using Humminbird PC, but here is what I would try:

Save Google files in separate folders, 1 for waypoints, 1 for tracks (paths)
    Export each as KML
    Use Babel to convert the paths to a “.ht” file

.”hwr” = humminbird waypoints, routes file (routes are not the same as tracks)
    “.ht” = humminbird tracks file

• Dusty

April 10, 2017 at 10:04 am

I will try that. Thanks Don!

Viewing 1 - 7 of 7 posts

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now